The United Arab Emirates is a federation of seven emirates on the eastern side of the Arabian peninsula, at the entrance to the Persian Gulf. It has coastlines on the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf, with Saudi Arabia to the west and southwest, and Oman to the southeast and also on the eastern tip of the Musandam Peninsula as well as an Omani enclave within its borders. It is a country rich in history and culture and an easy starting point for travels in the Middle East.
The seven emirates (imarat, singular - imarah) that make up the UAE are:
* Abu Dhabi (Abu Zaby)
* Fujairah (Al Fujayrah)
* Sharjah (Ash Shariqah)
* Dubai (Dubayy)
* Ra's al Khaymah
* Umm al Quwain
The largest of these is Abu Dhabi, while probably the most well known is Dubai.
* Abu Dhabi - The capital of the UAE
* Ajman - The smallest emirate, One of the budget destinations.
* Al Ain - Inland and close to the Omani bordertown of Buraimi, Al Ain comprises a triangle between the proper cities of Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
* Dubai - The most common entry point for travelers, it is the transport and commerce center of the UAE.
* Sharjah - A more budget destination, dusty and chaotic in places but with some charms.